Friday, February 3, 2012

Real Tattoos


On the heels of my fake tattoo post a couple days ago, I’ve decided to let the cat out of the bag and tell you about my real tattoo.

Most of you are aware of my struggles with anxiety and depression since I’ve talked about it here before. A couple of years ago I really started getting into God’s Word and reading the Bible almost every day. I kept a notebook by my bed and would write down every passage and scripture that stuck out to me, that gave me comfort. Early into my readings, in Genesis, respectively, I found one particular passage that struck such a cord; “I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go.” (Gen 28:15) It gave me hope and comfort. For the first time in my life I found something that I wanted to be reminded of so much every day that I wanted it to be on me permanently. From then on every time I got a panic attack I would think of how God is with me, and He is bigger than this.

Further into my readings, I really got into Psalms. I couldn’t read a single Psalm without crying. I related so much to King David, I empathized with his laments to God, and my notebook quickly filled up with endless passages.

So with much thought, I finally decided on the message I wanted to permanently put on my body: I am. Short, simple and powerful.

“I am” represents God. “God said to Moses, ‘I Am who I Am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites. I Am has sent me to you.” Exodus 3:14

The tattoo placement, on my right wrist, is a representation of Psalm 16:8 “I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.”

The tattoo is in UV ink, that can only be seen in darkness (aside from visible scarring) represents Psalm 18:28 “The Lord, my God, lights up my darkness”

So from now on I have a permanent reminder that God is always before me, always with me, forever apart of my flesh and His light will always be seen even in the darkest times. And because of this, I will not be shaken.

5 comments :

  1. I like the subtlety of the blacklight ink :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. How incredibly amazing. I love Psalm 18:28! Recently at the Passion conference, (268generation.com), I realized how much darkness needs the light. When Christians are only shining in what is already light, it's hard to make a difference. I love that symbolism in your tattoo. So incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you didn't get on the bandwagon of matching tattoos in beauty school(clever girl)yet we do have one in common, mine is a quote from the bell jar,so we are now unofficial ink mates!
    I still want to get together soon and treasure hunt at the local thrifts
    call me and that's an order
    Em

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...